RE: pipe through clamav problem

2006-02-26 03:09:42
On Sun, February 26, 2006 1:45, Dallman Ross said:
Francesco Peeters <Francesco(_at_)FamPeeters(_dot_)com> wrote:

On Sat, February 25, 2006 23:36, Dallman Ross said:

  CS_OUT=`clamdscan --mbox --no-summary --stdout -`

Is there a reason you use clamdscan instead of clamscan?

I didn't mean to send the "clamdscan" one to the list.
The file is sitting around in my development dir.
I don't actually use it, except for testing.  I use
Virus Snaggers(tm). :-)

I won't hold it against you!  ;-)

The sysadmin on panix compiled clamdscan, and it was
quite a bit faster.  That's why I was trying it out.
Use whatever's available that is fast and works.

It's faster because it uses an already running daemon, instead of starting
a new instance of clamav for every scan. I asked because, in my
experience, people who do not use the clamsmtpd implementation usually do
not have the clamd running either, and then clamdscan would not have an
existing daemon to connect to.

Also are there advantages over using clamsmtpd?

I don't know.  I'm not a clamscan user except by
way of crosstesting with it occasionally.

LOL... It'r rare to see people who actually do that! I too prefer to
retest other products on a fairly regular basis to see if they've
improved, and maybe even surpassed the current selected product(s)

(I for instance have an Asterisk PBX with ISDN cards, and am alternately
testing the BRIstuff and vISDN stacks, BRIstuff is currently the most
complete of the two, but less compatible with EuroISDN, has one serious
flaw (aside from the developer being too busy to respond), whereas viSDN
is more flexible in it's EuroISDN implementation, but still has some bugs
and needs a few enhancements, such as an Echo-Cancellation...)

Dallman

--
Francesco Peeters
----