Filtering spam for non-English languages like Chinese, Japanese, Korean

2006-03-02 13:09:23
Hello!

It has been relatively easier for me to filter out non-English emails
(as spam) using procmail by checking for character sets when the mailbox
is expecting only English language emails.

I now need to filter emails for individual languages like Chinese,
Japanese, Korean, etc. where the mailbox can receive a non-English
language character set based emails. Obviously, the character set based
filtering approach won't help me in this requirement to filter
language-specific emails.

Questions:
1. If I were to create separate recipe files for each language (example:
rc.spam_china, rc.spam_japan, ...), where each recipe has filters for
that specific language, is there any specific
setting/configuration/flags that needs to be done in procmail so that
procmail matches the words listed in the language-specific filters
correctly ? What I mean here is that the words to be filtered in each
language-specific recipe are going to be in that language (non-English
characters). Will procmail be able to truthfully interpret those words
in that specific language "as-is" or would procmail interpret them as
ASCII character equivalents/junk characters if the host where procmail
is running does not understand that language (Japan, china, etc.) ?

2. How do I approach this requirement to implement language-specific
spam filters?

Thanks and regards,
Komal