Re: catching spam with invalid users

2006-07-05 11:10:56
On Wed, July 5, 2006 12:36 pm, Eric Wood wrote:

A mail comes in because "art" is a valid user on my system.  However I see
everyone else in the header but one or more of those other guys I know
doesn't exist.  Non-existant users are just as good as spam.

I'd be pretty upset if my sysadmin dumped legit mail to me just because
the sender
typed eirc(_at_)myorg rather than eric(_at_)myorg in the cclist.

As has been said many, many times, using a single criterion to identify
spam is not a good idea. Having many non-existant users in the addressing
is a strong indicator but not sufficient to
determine the message *is* spam beyond a doubt. Why not use scoring
recipes to build up a
spam probability and quarantine or mark the message accordingly (assuming
you are unwilling
to use one of the existing spam detection tools)?

Rich