Postfix and Procmail soft-bouce or autoreply

2007-06-22 15:43:30
I am having a hard time conceptualizing a solution to this project.  I am
using a postfix SMTP server to relay mail for three separate domains. This
server will be the entry point to our network and should relay messages
addressed to "<anyone>@official.domain.com" to another SMTP mail hub for
delivery.  It should also collect e-mail addressed to two other deprecated
domains, notify the sender that the domain name has changed, and also
deliver the message to the same SMTP mail hub for delivery.  The delivered
messages should include a tag in the body informing the recipient that
this message was addressed to the old (soon-to-be invalid) address.  The
message bounced back to the sender should NOT contain the new address or
domain name, but a generic message to contact
postmaster(_at_)official(_dot_)domain(_dot_)com(_dot_)

First of all, I'm having trouble trying to bounce messages to the sender,
but still deliver them to the recipient.  I figured I would treat the two
deprecated domains as Local to the relay server, and deliver messages to
procmail.  Then have procmail send an autoreply to the sender and add a
tag to the body and finally requeue the message for relay to the SMTP mail
hub.

I don't have any trouble sending the messages to procmail, but I can't get
procmail to requeue the messages correctly.  I have used Postfix in the
past and feel comfortable with it's configuration, but I have very little
procmail experience.  It seems to be a VERY powerful tool that should be
able to handle this task simply.  I just don't know where to start as far
as configuring my procmail recipies, or even if this postfix/procmail
combo is even the best solution.  Is it possible to do this using ONLY
postfix?  (I don't think postfix is able to add tags to the body of
messages, OR send a bounce message and mail delivery at the same time.)

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

~Dale