Re: Patents and procmail

2007-08-29 20:07:44
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 13:03:19 -0700
From: PSE-L(_at_)mail(_dot_)professional(_dot_)org (Professional Software
Engineering)

Anyway, the company holding this patent is suing a bunch of companies
now in Texas.

It occurs to me that there isn't anything in that Abstract that
procmail can't do.

Sure, but the patent is for some specific approach to doing it.  For
procmail to accomplish those things, someone would need to sit down and
write the procmail recipes to evaluate messages.

Of course, that HAS been done time and again.

In fact, as I said in the Slashdot thread on this topic, this is pretty
much exactly what SmartList (procmail's mailing manager), Majordomo, and
even the BITNET LISTSERV mailing list manager that was handling lists to
which I was subscribed in the mid '80s.