Re: timestamp in the procmail log?

2007-09-02 23:17:14
On Sun, Sep 02, 2007 at 09:38:03PM -0700, Gary Funck wrote:
If we're going down that road ... why not have the
cron job update .procmailrc with MYDATE=...?  Saves a file open. :)

I've thought about having crontab rewrite an entire long rcfile
every night based on volatile data saved to expiring hashes such
as spam indices, expanded INCLUDERCs that the coder would interface
with individually but not see in the full-bloom single
crontab-generated rcfile, etc., etc. :-)  IOW, turn INCLUDERCs
into seed files for a "makefile."

Technical note, in passing: make sure that the cron job runs
"lockfile -ml" before updating the date file, and "lockfile -mu"
afterwards to avoid potential race conditions and inconsistencies.

dman