RE: Recipe not working

2007-09-29 15:28:33
Tolga wrote Sunday, September 30, 2007 12:01 AM:

To: Dallman Ross
Cc: 'Procmail ML'

Please do not cc. me on list mail.
(Years ago I wished for that.  I have long
since changed my mind.)

Dallman Ross yazmış:
Tolga wrote Saturday, September 29, 2007 1:47 PM:

[entire email message quoting deleted]

Please do not leave the entire message in when you are
responding.  We look forward to thoughtfully trimmed replies
on this list.  Archives are available eternally; if someone wants
or needs to go back and look at the full original, he most certainly can.

~/.procmailrc

DEFAULT=/var/mail/folders/$LOGNAME

You normally should not need or want to set DEFAULT
in the .procmailrc.  It ought to have the correct
value compiled in.  If it doesn't, you ought, in normal
situations, to recompile it so that it does.

I just emerged the sources of procmail. What file do I need
to edit? Out of curiosity, why can't I specify DEFAULT to be
/var/mail/folders/$LOGNAME and why do I need to edit sources?

I don't have the source handy right here and haven't looked
at them in several years.  Others can answer the "where?"
question.

As for why, note that I didn't say you "can't" do it.  I said it's
bad practice in general.  The reasons include that procmail performs
various sanity checks on $DEFAULT when it starts up, but
if you're changing the value, then you lose the benefit of
those checks, for example.

In general it's simply better to have the compiled-in defaults be
correct, as opposed to wrong, for the sake of robustness.

Think of a map of your town that you keep in your car's glove box.
The map is misprinted with a mistake: your street is given the
wrong name.  You take a pen and write in the correction by
hand on your map.  Your map now is useful to you and will
"work" to show you where your street is.  But there is little
argument that it would be much better if the map were right
in the first place.  That's an analogy for the robustness.

   :0
   * ^Subject:.*Postfix log summary of (to|yester)day
   | pflogsumm

man procmailex says not to pipe folder names.

I was not suggesting to pipe a folder name.  I was suggesting to
pipe to a binary or script you want to run.  That is what you
said you wanted to do, or what I understood you to be saying.
If I misinterpreted you and it really is simply a folder, then
you are correct -- you don't want a pipe.  Unless it's a directory
name, though, you do want a lockfile.

   :0:
  pflogsumm

--