If VAR != VAR2

2008-01-09 00:15:06
OK, I seem to be having a brain cloud.

I want to compare to variables and see if they are identical,
including case.  I thought this might do it:

:0
* ! VAR ?? $VAR2

but it doesn't.  Sure I am forgetting something very basic.  Here is
the code:

LOG=$NL\$VAR=$VAR$NL
VAR2=`echo $VAR | tr "[:upper:]" "[:lower:]"`
LOG="\$VAR=$VAR \$VAR2=$VAR2$NL"

:0
* ! VAR ?? $VAR2
{
   LOG="Translated $VAR to $VAR2$NL"
   VAR=$VAR2
}

But procmail, regardless of the values in VAR and VAR2 says

procmail: Match on ! "VAR2"

or is this simply that "BOB"="bob" to procmail?  If so, what's the
best way for me to check if VAR and VAR2 differ in case?

--
I'm no psychologist (although I play one when I'm picking up chicks
over by the asylum)