RE: mail corruption with dotlock/nfs

2008-02-29 18:39:29
Fletcher Mattox wrote Friday, February 29, 2008 11:45 PM:

After many years of flawless procmail performance as our local mail
delivery agent, we are now seeing frequent corruption in our users'
mailboxes.  The corruption seems to always be of the form:

      \000 ... \000From user(_at_)dom(_dot_)ain date

where \000 is a the null byte.  That is, we are seeing a series
of nulls (30 to 3000+) prepended to the message (or perhaps
appended from the previous message).

I don't really know, but what seems plausible to me is some kind
of resource-starvation issue at the SMTP-server level.

Maybe you run SpamAssassin and server processes get memory starved,
for instance?  Just an idea.  I've seen null messages hit my inbox
on a NetBSD system running Postfix for what I believe were such
reasons.

Dallman