Filtering existing email using procmail/formail

2008-03-02 15:32:58
I have setup some procmail recipes to filter emails into particular
Maildir folders. This works perfectly for any new email that I receive.
I would like to be able to filter all of my existing email through
procmail so that they too can be placed in the appropriate Maildir folders.

I used formail to do this with the command 'formail -s procmail <
/path/to/an/email'. This worked well but unfortunately none  of the
Maildir status flags were preserved (as I expected). For example 'D' for
draft messages, 'R' for messages I have replied to, 'S' for messages I
have seen etc. For now I am using my IMAP client to manually move emails
to the correct Maildir folder. Is there a way I can automate this using
formail/procmail and still preserve any of the Maildir status flags?

TYIA
Ben