Re: Recipe failing....Why?

2008-07-07 14:07:14
At 12:41 PM 7/7/2008 -0700, Professional Software Engineering wrote:

At 11:41 2008-07-07 -0700, Jim Seavey wrote:

[snip - continuation]
Well, obviously I was not thinking. This alone solves 97% of the problem. What's that they say about not being able to see the trees for the forest?

Well, if you were looking to OR the various condition lines, encapsulating EACH in parens, and having the condition flag only on the FIRST would have been valid, but it's just plain ugly, and your recipe didn't have that, so I figured that had to be in error.

This is spam. If I never see it again I could care less. But, having said that, I archive the most recent 1000 email's for each user so that nothing is lost even when I screw up a script. :-)

My point is that if you're going to trash messages, reserve that action for AFTER you know something works properly. Seeing a recipe that isn't working right *AND* seeing /dev/null as the action throws warning flags - in your case, you were NOT matching - but what if your logic were hosed and the problem was that you were matching EVERYTHING?

Right you are.

That is exactly why I archive the most recent 1000 email messages for each user. This is done BEFORE any recipes are run against anything. If a Procmail recipe gets screwed up the email for a week, more or less, is available for them to sort through.

Thanks again for responding...

Jim

Procmail disclaimer: <http://www.professional.org/procmail/disclaimer.html> Please DO NOT carbon me on list replies. I'll get my copy from the list.