RE: Difference in headers

2009-01-05 07:44:36
Bret Busby wrote Monday, January 05, 2009 6:08:

We have had some problems with incoming email, due to changes
made by our web hosting ISP; the ISP messed up their POP
server, and our incoming email has been adversely affected.

[. . . .]

Now, the problem that remains, in the ability to filter
incoming email messages, appears to be caused by a difference
in full headers.

[. . . .]

Now, the earliest occurring difference in the lines of the two
full headers above, appears to be the line

[. . . .]

Now, all incoming messages from mailing lists, unless they are
from particular mailing lists that address messages directly to
subscribers, are delivered to me, regardless of whether I am
the subscriber, as that line that apparently determines to whom
the messages are delivered, is no longer present.

[FIFTEEN(!!!!!)-line .sig cut]

You won't be able to use procmail to resolve this problem.
Procmail is not a MTA (mail-transfer agent); it is only a
MDA (mail-delivery agent).  (This has been discussed
dozens of times in the past on this list.)

Procmail can't magically divine information that was never fed
to it.  The new headers do not have the envelope-to information
anywhere in them (I studied your headers).  Your problem
is not limited to mailing lists -- you will be unable to
deliver any bcc'd email properly.

You need to ask your upstream ISP to fix this issue in its
mail-handling setup.  (Why are you staying with them?)

I also urge you to abandon a 15-line .sig, which is preposterous
to send to lists.

--
dman