Re: zip up attachments and deliver modified message

2009-01-22 17:29:42

 I know that this may seem a bit odd but here it goes:
/

the attachments, zip the attachments, then put them back on the original
message.

Some of these formats employ a certain amount of compression to start with.
 You may not

/

archive at their end also complicates matters.

I would only do this with xls, doc, rtf, txt, and pdf files.   maybe a few
others would be added.  many files are compressed to some degree but these
xls and doc files are most of my issue and have no compression in place.

Seemigly more appropriate (presuming that users can opt in to the whole
"fsck with my email format" thing), would be to extract attachments and
store them to a secured webserver, then insert a URL into the email message.
 You shed weight several ways:

So I would just strip the attachment out to a file and deliver the message
less the attachment and add an URL to the file on a webserver.  Would you
suggest setting up apache for SSL and auth against the username list
postfix?  dump the attachment into /home/$username/attachments/ and push a
link https://webserver/$username/attachments/ into the email?

I can handle the webserver part, how would I strip the attachment and dump
it in a folder and push the URL to the file in?

       * If you store the attachment into an SQL db, you could compute a
signature.  Only ONE copy of any given attachment would need to be stored,
so if there are 30 recipients, there

/

threshold wouldn't be diddled with.

I dont care to mix SQL into this.  I like my little
dovecot/postfix/spamassassin/procmail system for simplicity.  I hope to
accomplish this with procmail and an external script to strip the
attachment.

Thanks for the response and clarity.  I appreciate it.