Re: variable expandation

2009-01-26 10:57:40
At 02:58 2009-01-26 -0700, LuKreme wrote:
On 26-Jan-2009, at 01:54, Xavier Maillard wrote:
* ^TO_ ()\/[^(_at_)]+@($LISTDOMS)\.

* $ ^ ...

(not commenting on the rest of the line, it's 5am) but you need the $
after the * to expand a variable.

Not that it's appropriate to this particular case (since LISTDOMS is a regexp), but if one were looking to match an expanded string which may have been extracted at a previous step and should be treated as a literal (NOT interpreted as a potential regexp), you would add $\ expansion (note the backshash after the $ at the beginning of the variable:

This would be appropriate if say LISTDOMS contained a domain:

        host.domain.tld

where the dots would otherwise be interpreted as single character wildcards. When a domain is specified as part of a regexp, experienced procmail users always escape the dots so that they only match dots. In operation, NOT using the $\ expansion wouldn't appear to be a problem, because the dot wildcards would end up matching actual periods in those same places, however, you could still mismatch stuff (even if you think its a longshot). The possibilties are much greater when you're using it to match a string within a larger text (such as the body of a message) versus an already parsed-down token (a single user address from a header).