Re: Incorrect Resolution of $HOME Variable

2009-04-01 13:35:07
Am 2009-03-31 14:25:33, schrieb James Butler:
i.e. Why would procmail create Maildir folders in
/home/user/Maildir/user,
instead of just creating them in /home/user/Maildir?

This ERROR sound very logic to me since  you  have  defined  the  SYSTEM
default directory from

    /var/spool/mail/
    ${HOME}/Maildir/

which mean, instead of creating a

    /var/spool/mail/${USER}

you get the

    /home/${USER}/Maildir/${USER}

thing.  I am now using  procmail  since  over  9 years  in  a  bunch  of
different (and very complicated configurations) but  I  have  never  had
such error.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    24V Electronic Engineer
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

Thank you for this way of looking at things.

I had thought that this was true:

default $HOME = /var/spool/mail/user

modified $HOME = /home/user [my system shows this for 'echo $HOME']

therefore:

$HOME/Maildir/ = /home/user/Maildir/

But procmail does something different, in my case:

$HOME/Maildir/ = /home/user/Maildir/user/Maildir/

This is my main question: Why would procmail add the extra 'user'
substructure when it comes time to deliver a message?

Looking at the output I previously posted (procmail.log):

procmail: Assigning "MAILDIR=/home/user/Maildir"
procmail: Assigning "DEFAULT=/home/user/Maildir/"

shows it is resolving the $HOME and MAILDIR variables correctly at
runtime, however it is failing to deliver the message into the IMAP
structure (new/cur/tmp) when a message matches a rule. IT DELIVERS JUST
FINE WHEN THERE IS NO MATCH!

For reference, here's the simple rule that I'm testing with (forget about
the 'deliver' recipe, for now):

:0
*^Subject:.*TEST CASE
$MAILDIR

I have no idea why procmail is having an issue when a rule is matched. Is
there some piece of code in there somewhere that says, "if (MATCH) then
MAILDIR = MAILDIR+MAILDIR" ? Probably not, but it's behaving like it has.

Is there something about Fedora 10 that's mucking things up?

Thanks again for sharing your logic, Ms. Konzack.

James