Strange procmail errors, and linting procmailrc

2009-04-23 01:58:36
I'm having a strange problem with procmail when I'm using it as that main MDA on my mail server. Procmail seems to create these strange little temporary files that are basically an underscore followed by five or six random characters, and then the hostname of the machine. These get created in Maildir/new, so occasionally one of the IMAP clients my customers use will come along and move that file to Maildir/cur and add the collected/viewed flags to it, telling the client that it has a totally empty message... no headers, no nothing.

According to the Maildir spec, these files should be going in Maildir/tmp, if I recall correctly. Is this how it's supposed to go, and I've somehow hit a weird error that means that these files are being placed in the wrong area?

Also, ocassionally delivery will fail altogether, and this temporary file will end up in the user's home directory, outside the Maildir completely. Has anyone else ever seen this?

My procmail log file tells me occasionally that I have an incomplete recipe, but I can't seem to find it. Is there a program out there to lint procmailrc files for me to point out the errors?