Re: store mail in separate messages

2009-08-07 09:32:56
What format is your current mailbox - maildir or mbox or something else?
The current format is mbox in single file in /var/spool/mail/$username, but
I want to be like /var/spool/maildir/$username/mesg0000001 ... mesg000000X

This isn't really a procmail question. What you need to do is run a
script that will convert mbox mailboxes to maildir. Something like
http://batleth.sapienti-sat.org/projects/mb2md/ though a Google search
for "convert mbox to maildir" will give heaps of results.

But remember that once you've converted the mailbox to maildir format,
you will probably need to reconfigure your pop/imap server to tell it
about the new maildir format. You might also need to tell your SMTP
server (eg postfix).

And finally I think you have to use a trailing slash / on the folder
in procmail recipes to tell procmail that it's a maildir mailbox.

I highly recommend trying this all out 1st on a test mailbox before
doing it on your large mailbox because it's easy to make a mistake and
you could stuff up your mail.