Re: unsubscribe

2010-03-10 11:16:11
At 12:08 2010-03-10 -0500, charlie(_at_)lofcom(_dot_)com wrote:

No, some people are just too lazy to properly unsubscribe, figuring the moderator will remove them. I run a handful of small discussion lists, and see this nonsense at least once a week...can't imagine how prevalent it is on large lists.

It is prevailent enough that I have a front-end procmail filter that watches for such things on a large automotive discussion site (100K participants across multiple lists) and sends information on the proper process rather than letting the apparent uns*bscribe message on through to the list. Same goes for digest replies (either by Subject line, or bloated bodies), etc. S:N is greatly improved, and the listadmin has a lot less to deal with.

The difference of course is that the automotive lists are populated with people who make no claims to being particularly computer savvy. <g>