Re: TIP regarding spacial chars

2010-07-26 05:18:53
Udi wrote:

We all knew the problem when we must say to the reader that
the string include or not include the TAB because  [      ]   is not
clear.   Also.  there is a problem to cut-n-paste  spacial characters.

My solusion is:
  BLANK=`echo -e "\n\t "`
For the LOG newline problem:
  NL=`echo -e "\n\0"`
(Note the  NULL after the newline)
Now you can c-n-p with no worry

I consider that ill general advise.

The "[  ]" is the canonical way to express it.
Just add a remark if you expect an issue.

I never call an external process when not needed. I also run procmail in secured environments, where it is not even possible to use a shell or any other executables (than a few like formail).

--
Ruud