How to specify end-of-file in a procmail recipe?

2010-11-04 08:00:25
I've been using procmail on my mail server (Sendmail) for years with good
success in filtering spam, along with MailScanner, SpamAssassin and clamav and
some home-grown procmail recipes.  However, for the last month or so, we've
seen new spam using a lot of images (with text in the images), making it
difficult to block.

One thing in common is a (bogus) "unsubscribe" image in the footer of the
message, centered.  I've been filtering using one rule like:

* center.*a
href\=.*http(.|$)*img.*src\=.*http(.|$)*.(jpg|gif|png).*\/a(.|$)*\/ce(.|$)*nte(.|$)*\/body(.|$)*\/html

to catch a centered image at the bottom of the message (just before the end of
the HTML).

I had figured out that the procmail sequence (.|$)* will filter on a character
OR end of line - because they're sneaky and often break their lines in a weird
way.

I realize this is very broad, so I also filter on other characteristics, which
I won't describe here ;-)

The problem is that sometimes the spammer is sending broken HTML - no
opening/closing <html> or <body> etc. They count on the fact that many email
programs will still display the remaining HTML even though it is seriously
flawed - and they're right.

So what I wanted to do was filter on the html & image immediately followed by
end-of-file instead of the closing html tags.

I know that $ is end of line.  How do I specify end-of-file?  I've looked
through the FAQ and searched and haven't come up with anything.

Thanks in advance,

Fred