Querying a DB to determine destination mailbox for an email using Procmail

2011-10-27 20:29:17
Requirement: I need to devise a solution where a procmail script can
dynamically determine the final destination mailbox by querying a database for
a particular keyword to get the corresponding mailbox.

Approach I have in mind:
Based on my knowledge of procmail so far, I envision the following steps but
wanted some expert opinion on finding the right approach.
1. Use a database to maintain a key/value pair type information for a keyword
and a corresponding mailbox name. This information may be maintained manually
or using a custom application (outside of procmail).
2. Write a Perl script which takes an input parameter from procmail (I have not
done this before but I believe procmail can call a Perl script and just pass an
argument in the call).
3. The Perl script performs the actual query to database for a given keyword to
find the corresponding mailbox name.
4. The script then returns the mailbox name to the procmail script/recipe that
invoked the Perl script.
5. The procmail recipe then directs that email (which had the keyword) to its
intended mailbox (which was dynamically determined using the query executed by
the PERL script).

Is the above approach an appropriate way to implement the requirement outlined
at the beginning of this email?

If yes, are there any conditions that I missed in my approach that I need to be
mindful of before beginning research and development for this solution using
this approach?

If no, can you suggest an alternate way of achieving this requirement?

Thanks and regards,
Komal

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Komal Tagdiwala | IT Engineer | Cisco Systems, Inc.| Contact Center
Applications & Technologies
400 E Tasman Dr | SJC 12/3 | San Jose, CA 95134 |
ktagdiwa(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com | Office: (408)527-2163
This email may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of
the intended recipient. Any review, use, distribution or disclosure by others
is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to
receive for the recipient), please contact the sender by reply email and delete
all copies of this message.

For corporate legal information go to: