Re: Reprocessing a Maildir fodler

2013-08-19 22:28:10
* LuKreme <kremels(_at_)kreme(_dot_)com> [08-19-13 23:12]:
I have a maildir folder with a few thousand emails that I want to
reprocess with the user's current .procmailrc file

I know how to do this for an mbox file... I used to know how to do it
with a maildir...

I would *assume* it is the same but use a directory/* or directory/ rather
than a file-name, ie:
  formail -ds procmail.rc.file < /some/directory/

but I see reference on google:

the -s flag to formail splits the input up into seperate
mail messages and invokes the selected program (here,
procmail) with each message piped into a separate
invocation.

As Maildir already has one file per message, all you need to
do is invoke procmail once per mail message. Something like
the following shell:

  find $YOURMAILDIR/{cur,new} -type f | while read file; do
      procmail < $file
        done

        Note that you probably want to be absolutely sure that
        procmail doesn't put its output into the maildir you are
        reading as input.

        If you want to run this periodically and don't want to send
        a message to procmail more than once, just move or delete
        the file once it has been piped to procmail, like this:

          for dir in cur new; do
                find $INPUTMAILDIR/$dir -type f | while read file; do
                        procmail < $file
                        mv $file $PROCESSED/$dir
                        # or: rm $file
                done
          done

also:  http://does-not-exist.org/mail-archives/mutt-users/msg08674.html
for x in .Inbox/cur/* ; do
  cat $x |formail -ds procmail
done

So it must require some scripting  :^)

I only use mbox so haven't had any reason go try....

gud luk,