Procmail recipe causes fatal error after upgrade to Mac OS X Mavericks

2013-11-23 15:15:45
I’ve been running a mail server using Procmail for local delivery on a
Macintosh for many years (client version of OS X despite the hoops you have to
jump through to turn it into a server). Apple has provided pre-built versions
of procmail, formail, mailstat, and lockfile in /usr/bin for many years and my
recipes have needed little work over that time.

Today I upgraded from Mountain Lion (OS X 10.8.x) to Mavericks (OS X 10.9).
Started seeing problems with mail delivery and determined that my recipes that
call formail to send a new message were causing the problem (problem occurs
whether or not the recipe fires). Procmail would error saying "detected source
and destination buffer overlap” and mail would be deferred by Postfix. Tried
building from source (3.22) and had the same problem. Copied Mountain Lion
versions from backup and all is fine. I’m thinking since it’s talking about
buffer overlap that some default build option in OS X Mavericks is causing a
buffer to be too small (but I may not know what I’m talking about here).

Error from log:
Nov 23 09:34:38 albion.stonejongleux.com procmail[1310]: detected source and
destination buffer overlap
Nov 23 09:34:40 albion.stonejongleux.com postfix/local[1250]: 38663572D4E0:
to=<lstone19(_at_)stonejongleux(_dot_)com>, relay=local, delay=2.5,
delays=0/0/0/2.5, dsn=4.3.0, status=deferred (Command died with signal 6:
"/usr/bin/procmail”)

A problem recipe (this one is looking for a particular CC recipient and a
couple of keywords in a line of the body):
:0BHc :
* ^Cc:.*railbird.*
* .*table.* finished.*
{
        MSGTEXT=`formail -I "" | grep -i table | grep -i finished`
        :0
        | (formail -brt  -I 'From: lstone19(_at_)stonejongleux(_dot_)com' \
        -I 'Subject: WRGPT' -I "To: larry(_at_)stonejongleux(_dot_)com" ; \
        echo $MSGTEXT) | $SENDMAIL -t
}

Any thoughts?

--