Re: Matching literal dot in To

2015-06-12 20:12:06
On Fri, Jun 12, 2015 at 06:50:52PM -0500, Moby wrote:
On 06/12/2015 04:56 PM, Chuck Martin wrote:
On Fri, Jun 12, 2015 at 04:02:27PM -0500, Moby wrote:
:0w
* ^To:.*\..*@.*
| $DELIVERTO -a $CYUSER -m "jdotrejects" $CYUSER

The log snippet is:
procmail: Match on "^To:.*\..*@.*"

Here are header snippets from the particular email:

From: "GameStop PowerUp Rewards" <GameStop(_at_)e(_dot_)gamestop(_dot_)com>
To: "gamestop(_at_)abc-def(_dot_)com" <gamestop(_at_)abc-def(_dot_)com>
I see your problem here.  Look at that last line, and how it matches
your pattern:

To: "gamestop(_at_)abc-def(_dot_)com" <gamestop(_at_)abc-def(_dot_)com>
 \_/\________________/^\____________/^\__________/
^To:       .*        \.      .*      @    .*

Many thanks.  I see the issue now - but cannot think of an easy fix short of
sending the message to an external script for processing. Would you have any
ideas on how to handle situations like this?  I now realize
I would also need to handle the case where the To: line has multiple
recipients, I would need to check ~each~ email address as to whether it has
a dot in it or not.

For a single address, you could put this somewhere ahead of the recipe:

TO=`formail -cx 'To:' | sed -re 's/.*<(.*@[^ >]*)>.*/\1/;s/^ *//;s/ *$//'`

That will extract the first address only, if there are multiple addresses
in the "To:" line, and strip any whitespace from the beginning and/or
end, if present (this may be the case if there were no angle brackets in
the address, like if the address was alone, without a name).

Then in the recipe itself, change this:

* ^To:.*\..*@.*

to this:

* ? test -n "$TO" && grep '.*\..*@.*' "$TO"

The 'test -n "$TO"' part makes sure $TO isn't empty, as it might be if
there was no "To:" line in the header, and the grep looks for the dot
in the address.

If there are more addresses, then the question I would ask is what is
it you're looking for exactly?  Should it be considered a match if any
address has a dot, or only if all of them have dots?  What's your reason
for checking for the dot?  The solution depends on that answer, and
could be pretty complex.

By the way, my reply to you was supposed to go to the list, so I'm sending
this to the list, where it should have been in the first place.  My first
attempt at replying to the list had the wrong address in the "From:" line
(it wasn't the one used to subscribe to this list, and I think it got
blocked), and when I tried to resend it, I did a regular reply instead
of a list-reply.  Sorry about that.

--
This address uses a whitelist.  If you aren't in my whitelist, you can
only send me e-mail if you send to an appropriately tagged address (it