Re: State of procmail

2016-08-09 17:51:05

Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2016 20:12:00 +1000
From: Erik Christiansen <dvalin(_at_)internode(_dot_)on(_dot_)net>

On 07.08.16 10:59, Erich Veyhl wrote:
> First and foremost are unfixed security flaws. Mitre.org lists two
> vulnerabilities affecting procmail since 2001:...

That isn't what I wrote. I linked to the article and quoted from it as of interest. I didn't write the article.

https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-225/Procmail.html

That only ascribes one vulnerability to the current version of procmail.

It's described as:

"<https://www.cvedetails.com/cve/CVE-2014-3618/>CVE-2014-3618 <https://www.cvedetails.com/cwe-details/119/cwe.html>119 DoS Exec Code Overflow 2014-09-08 2015-10-09 score 7.5 Heap-based buffer overflow in formisc.c in formail in procmail 3.22 allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (crash) and possibly execute arbitrary code via a crafted email header, related to 'unbalanced quotes.'"

Is that not a concern?

> In addition, of course, there are other bugs that remain
> unfixed. Matthew G. Saroff pointed out one long-standing bug, and the
> procmail site itself lists a dozen or so known bugs as of 2001.

There is a list of bugs in the KNOWN_BUGS bug file in the source code.
I don't think we're compelled to fix them until we get around to it,
this century or next. (If not fixed, then they're clearly not hurting
much.)

Not being compelled to fix them until getting around to it and not hurting much meanwhile doesn't address or fix the known bugs. Do they matter or not? Can they cause problems in procmail operation we might not realize?

Who is the "we"? Is there someone out there who can and still wants to fix bugs and distribute a new version?

> "Just as importantly, the email landscape and the system
> administration marketplace have not stood still since 2001, either. Ed
> Blackman noted that procmail cannot correctly handle MIME headers
> adhering to RFC 2047 (which include non-ASCII text), despite the fact
> that RFC 2047 dates back to 1996. RFC 2047-formatted headers are far
> from mandatory, but they do continue to rise in frequency."

Ah, Ed sounds like an academic or writer for a magazine. If that concern
became non-academic for the user community, then we might take a look at it.

Most of don't care if the "Ed" is academic or a magazine writer. Are incompatible MIME headers in fact rising in frequency? What is the affect on how procmail operates and how would we notice it?

In the interim, I'll agree that the email landscape landscape has
not stood still - but reserve judgement on whether it has moved
forwards.

Whether it moves forwards, backwards or sideways, or wanders onto another Riemann sheet or parallel universe, if incompatibilities arise there will be problems in our own favored procmail environment here in this world. Is that happening?