Re: include v exec?

2003-11-08 15:57:06
One of the significant differences is that 'exec' can return 'deny/softdeny/allow/unknown' whereas 'include' can only return 'allow/unknown'

I suppose that it might be possible to unify these two mechanisms, but I'm not sure how to do it in a sane way.

Philip

Justin Mason wrote:

Hi Meng --

Like the updated spec -- much simpler using the macro system.

But "include" v "exec" -- what's the difference?  Apart from the basic
semantic difference a la  subroutines vs jumps in procedural programming,
I can't see why an "exec" couldn't just be replaced by a specifier using
"include" and then simply omitting extra directives.

IMO, keeping the number of mandatory mechanisms down is key
to SPF usage, so this is an important point.

--j.

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.txt