Re: Eric Allman comments on SPF

2003-12-03 18:07:47
----- Original Message -----
From: "Meng Weng Wong" <mengwong(_at_)dumbo(_dot_)pobox(_dot_)com>
To: <spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com>
Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2003 1:37 AM
Subject: [spf-discuss] Eric Allman comments on SPF

Eric Allman just emailed me his thoughts on the draft-02.9.txt.

He doesn't like the complexity of the a, mx, ptr, etc directives;

For the record, I am very pleased with the a, mx, ptr directives. And I
would be very disappointed to see them go. :( Not that I have the illusion
that my voice carries the same weight as that of Allman, but I'd like to
have it on record nonetheless.

If by 'rulesets' Allman refers to sendmail.cf kinda rulesets, well, not
everything should be in sendmail.cf, you know? :) SPF is typically a job
well-suited for use in a Milter; and Perl, in turn, well-suited to do that
job. I mean, with a ruleset you can query stuff like 4.3.2.1.domain.name,
and such; but I'd like to see the ruleset that manages to extract the proper
SPF directives from a DNS record; or the man that wrote it, for that matter.
:)

- Mark

        System Administrator Asarian-host.org

---