Hostname foo in Mail::SPF::Query

2003-12-18 11:31:44
The name returned by hostname() is not always the name of the MX
server that is handling the mail. Returning that name in the reject
message is of no value to the sender.  I'm wondering how common
this situation is?

I have modified Postfix to permit arguments to the policy daemon
for other purposes and I will use that mechanism to pass the MX
server name into the Query method.  I think that letting the caller
specify the hostname is a general solution to the problem rather
than having to modify Query for each machine it runs on.  Adding a
hostname argument to result() seems to be the best way to do this
since result() is where the hostname is used.

Comments?

--
John Capo
Tuffmail.com