Re: Mapping to RBL style DNS lookup

2003-12-22 08:42:10
You are exactly right -- there is no SPF information stored here.

The problem about returning different 127.0.0.x addresses is that some RBL lookup systems only check the presence/absence of the A record and not it's value.

I would hope that people would move to native use of SPF and not use the DNS kludge, but it might get things started more quickly.

Philip

Mark wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Philip Gladstone" <philip-spf(_at_)gladstonefamily(_dot_)net>
To: <spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com>
Sent: Monday, December 22, 2003 1:01 AM
Subject: [spf-discuss] Mapping to RBL style DNS lookup

Proposal for the mapping to DNS for RBL style lookup -- so that
sendmail people can jump on board quickly.

1) Obtain an SPF domain name. E.g. s-p-f.net

2) Define mapping: propose

3) Find 1 or more sites willing to run this service.

This service will not contain actual SPF records, right? The way I envision
this, is as follows. Correct me if I am wrong.

A bot is running at check.s-p-f.net, which will accept compound DNS queries
of the above form. This bot will break down the tripartite query, do a
regular SPF query, and return the DNS answer back to the requestor.

This is actually a pretty good idea.

What I initially had in mind, though, was to supply this DNS tool along with
the SPF distribution, for local use (as "forwarder" zone in people's own
DNS). But nothing keeps us from doing both. :)

Sendmail DNSBL checking allows for different A record responses, such as
127.0.0.1, 127.0.0.2, etc. So, all we really need to do then, is to say
which result means which ("fail", "pass", "unknown", etc.).

-