Re: The demon problem, ancestor matching, and match_subdomains=yes

2004-03-19 18:20:09
On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 07:32:11PM -0500, Meng Weng Wong wrote:
On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 05:24:25PM -0500, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
| Also, when SPF returns 'none', should I
| check smaller right hand sides?  E.g. check mx.aol.com, then aol.com
| (which would pass).

We've been thinking about this.  Some thinking is at:
http://spf.pobox.com/faq.html#demon

But maybe we want to allow ancestor search for a record with a
match_subdomains=yes modifier.

Doesn't this work just like the proposed match_subdomains?

*.demon.co.uk             TXT "v=spf1 include:demon.co.uk"
specificuser1.demon.co.uk TXT "v=spf1 a -all"
specificuser2.demon.co.uk TXT "v=spf1 mx ~all"

It has the advantage of not having to query the parent domain if there
is no record.

Am I missing something perhaps?

grtz
Alex