Re: Extending SPF to IN-ADDR.ARPA space

2004-03-24 08:06:08
"Greg" == Greg Connor
"Re: Extending SPF to IN-ADDR.ARPA space"
 Tue, 23 Mar 2004 23:38:48 -0800

    Greg> I actually agree with Bob that this is a good idea
    Greg> (i.e. putting policy records in in-addr.arpa domain similar
    Greg> to SPF for normal domains).

Bad idea.  It facilitates even more yet breaking of the end-to-end
peer-to-peer Internet as we know it and would likely be applied to
restrictions affecting more than just mail.

    Greg> There is a fundamental difference, since it is not really
    Greg> associated with a domain, it's more of a "usage policy of
    Greg> this network" and not a policy for the domain name.

Let those that wish to restrict the use of their network enforce their
own restrictions rather than tell others how to do it for them.

How much of a problem are spoofed mail client IP numbers?

    Greg> It could also be expanded to "users should not be accepting
    Greg> http, ftp, DNS requests"

Exactly.  Bad! <http://www.fourmilab.ch/documents/digital-imprimatur/>

We've been forced to give up on mail, now the rest?

        jam