Re: SRS: encoding with lengths instead of delimiters

2004-03-29 06:50:20
On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, Theo Schlossnagle wrote:

On Mar 29, 2004, at 3:42 AM, Shevek wrote:
Not only is it less readable for the user, but it is harder
(impossible?)
to parse using simple regular expressions. While not a requirement,
most
simple mail filtering programs are regular-expression based. Therefore
the
current encoding has a slight advantage.

That's assuming you are using a scripting language.  It's actually more
work to use regexps in a compiled language than that propsed
netstrings-like encoding.  size+data is much easier and faster to parse
in languages that don't support native regular expressions.  Also I'd
think that while it takes an extra line of code in a language like
perl, it would still be faster.

I agree with you. However:

1) The netstrings-like encoding is longer in most cases since many lengths
are >10.

2) We _still_ can't arbitrarily reorder fields unless we also label them
with keys (Do we really want to serialise a hash into the local-part?)

3) most existing mail handling/filtering programs are scripted or already
have support for regexes.

4) Human readability is important.

S.

--