Re: Unified SPF Algorithm

2004-10-03 12:11:32
Meng Weng Wong wrote:

People seem to think:

wrong:  an auth pass for HELO or SUBMITTER
wrong:  overrides
wrong:  an auth fail for MAIL-FROM

I would like to emphasize that the above text, indicated by
"wrong", is wrong.

right:  an auth+policy pass for HELO or SUBMITTER
right:  overrides
right:  an auth fail for MAIL-FROM.

The "policy" component is required: it means that the
receiver must have chosen to trust the HELO or SUBMITTER.

After my long list of NAKs to your attempted murder of v=spf1
here's finally something where I fully agree.  Reading "WL"
instead of "policy", but that's probably what you mean (?)

I still don't see where SUBMITTER is really necessary in this
concept.  An SPF-tested HELO found in a local white list, why
isn't that good enough for forwarding scenarios ?  It's very
similar to trusted-forwarder.org, only better.  Where's the
added value of SUBMITTER ?  The SUBMITTER stuff changes SMTP,
it works only for new MTAs.  The HELO solution works with all
MTAs supporting v=spf1 resp. spf2.0/mfrom, and that's all you
need as forwarder.  If an MTA doesn't support SPF, then you
need no tricks to overrule an spf2.0/mfrom FAIL.  Bye, Frank