Re: SPF v1 draft for review

2004-10-06 09:45:15
On Oct 6, 2004, at 12:32 PM, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:

The point is that later on when the new RR is widely deployed, then this will
change to:

  MUST have RR
  MAY have TXT

I would play a little harder and say "SHOULD NOT have TXT"

This I think will give discretion to implementation authors whether to pay attention to TXT records or not - or avail such a configurable option in their software. A compromise if you will. The idea is to make people s/TXT/SPF/ in their zone files.

I would think that early adopters are more likely to make this change than those who implement after a RFC publishes the production protocol.

We have to draw a line somewhere. If TXT is allowed indefinitely, then we might as well not bother getting a SPF RR. But that also means we would be overloading TXT and imposing on it, which I am against.

/dale