Re: SPF validation tools

2004-10-28 13:32:26
Meng,

Are you aware of the validator on spf.sonologic.nl, which looks at the
records in a purely syntactical way and basically checks the ABNF.

I'm about to add point 3 to it.

Koen

On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 12:27:20PM -0400, Meng Weng Wong wrote:
I know we've kicked this around a few times in the past, but
I don't know what the current state of things is ---

An Overwhelmingly Large ISP has asked me what I know about
SPF record validation tools.

In the validation space we need extreme thoroughness:

1) a regexp that validates the ABNF on a purely syntactic level

2) a parser that tokenizes validated records and warns about
   unrecognized mechanisms and modifiers.

3) a recursion follower that evaluates includes and redirects

4) an overall optimizer that recommends moving ip4
   mechanisms ahead of other mechanisms, and so on

5) a validator for each mechanism that confirms that its
   target is resolvable --- for example, given mx:foo.com,
   we need to chase down each MX server for foo.com and all
   of their hostnames.  if any of their hostnames is
   unresolvable, report an error.

I know that people are working on this, but I'm not sure
where things stand.  I'd like to add fill out the
"certification" webpage on spf.pobox.com so could anyone
who's doing work in this area please offer a status report?

There are two functional goals, or deliverables, for this:

1) web page where you can paste in a proposed v=spf1 record
   and see what the validator thinks

2) the same web page, but if you paste in a domain name it
   fetches the record from DNS directly

http://www.InboxEvent.com/?s=d --- Inbox Event Nov 17-19 in Atlanta features
SPF and Sender ID.

Networking, embedded systems, unix expertise, artificial intelligence.