When did SPF HELO checking start?

2004-12-11 11:06:56
In <6900(_at_)rama(_dot_)pamho(_dot_)net> "Roger Moser"
<Roger(_dot_)Moser(_at_)rama(_dot_)pamho(_dot_)net> writes:

David wrote:

yes, but the spf record is not for helo checking, not sure if this
will cause any problem.

Since when was the SPF record not for HELO checking?

Section 2.2.1 of the specification of SPF Classic
(http://spf.pobox.com/spf-draft-200406.txt) says:

  When the return-path has no domain, a client MUST use the HELO domain
  instead.

I've been doing a little research into just how old the SPF HELO
checking is.  I have now pushed back the first suggestion of *ALWAYS*
checking the HELO domain to Sept 29-30, 2003.  As far as when the
first SPF spec that says to check the HELO domain when the MAIL FROM
is null, see:

http://archives.listbox.com/spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com/200306/0001.html

This is from June 10, 2003 and this is the VERY FIRST POST TO
SPF-DISCUSS.

So, just how long have SPF records been required to be valid for HELO
checking?  I really don't know.  Maybe Meng can research further back.

-wayne