N00b question - setting up sendmail milter

2004-12-30 13:36:27
Background:
SuSE 9.2 Pro running sendmail (8.13.1), and I'm attempting to setup the
sendmail milter.
I've installed Mail::SPF::Query and all its prerequisites, and copied
the line into my linux.mc (SuSE doesn't use sendmail.mc like the rest of
the world), generate my sendmail.cf and start sendmail.

To test, I sent a message from my hotmail account. Result (from
/var/log/mail):
Milter add: header: Received-SPF: pass (hostname.mycompany.com: domain
of username(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com designates x.x.x.x as permitted sender)

Then I sent a forged message from my hotmail account to the same box:
Milter add: header: Received-SPF: softfail (hostname.mycompany.com:
transitioning domain of username(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com does not designate
y.y.y.y
as permitted sender)

Problem:
Now, I try to send a forged message from a host that uses "-all" instead
of "?all" in the SPF record:
Milter add: header: Received-SPF: unknown (hostname.mycompany.com: error
in processing during lookup of username(_at_)othercompany(_dot_)com)

At first I thought this was a problem with my own SPF record (because
that's what I tested on first), but have found this to be the case for
every domain (that I've found anyway) that uses a hard fail. This
defeats my primary purpose of wanting to use SPF (namely, outside
parties claiming to be my company).

Any hints? ideas? suggestions? snide remarks?