Spam Scenarios

2005-02-24 15:03:57
In an effort to understand the fundamental problems with stopping spam, I'm putting together some scenarios showing how spam might be handled once authentication is in place. Here is the first scenario, how a spammer might use Relays ( Forwarders ) to break in:
http://www.ece.arizona.edu/~edatools/etc/Spam%20Scenarios.htm

I'm trying to stick fairly close to the terminology and entities as Dave Crocker has described them in <http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-crocker-email-arch-03.txt>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-crocker-email-arch-03.txt - Internet Mail Architecture. I've taken the liberty of using words like sender, receiver, and forwarder, rather than the more formally defined source, relay, and destination. While not all-inclusive, I think the more commonly-understood words will facilitate an informal discussion. I'll switch to the more formal words if anyone sees a problem. The last thing I want to do is add to the confusion.

-- Dave

* David MacQuigg, PhD              * email:  dmq at gain.com      *  *
* IC Design Engineer               * phone:  USA 520-721-4583  *  *  *
* Analog Design Methodologies                                  *  *  *
*                                  * 9320 East Mikelyn Lane     * * *
* VRS Consulting, P.C.             * Tucson, Arizona 85710        *