RE: Recommendations for a new official website

2005-03-16 05:36:17
Frank Ellermann wrote:
Please make this "three webmasters" appointing [the WDG HTML validator]
as the 3rd
webmaster with a veto right until the new site has more than
sixty pages.  [...]

Rationale:  So far only you and Wayne managed it to create Web
pages which are visible with any browser and / or valid HTML.

Be assured that I'm going to take care of standards compliance.  But I'm
certainly not going to put form before content.

We (the council and the webmasters) will have to rely on the community
(=you and others) to do certain things, such as routinely checking the
site for standards and rare-browser compliance and providing feedback.

They shall consult the council on any significant issues that
are propably controversial.

Maybe the Council should decide to support Web standards in a
backwards compatible way.  This means Latin-1 instead of UTF-8
among other things.  It also means "should work without CSS,
Java, JavaScript, Flash, PDF, MP3" and what else.

These things should not have to be decided by the council, but by me (as
the council member responsible for managing the new site's set-up) and the
webmasters.  In these regards, I trust myself enough to make decisions
that most of you can agree with. ;-)  I hope you do, too.

Julian,
Council Member.