RE: RE: rr.com and SPF records

2005-03-18 12:31:00
You said:
"Then why rely on consumer level services?  If email is that important, then
why not run your own MTA, which may be multi-homed for redundancy?
Then your domain's SPF record can list the IP addresses for your own MTA and
you never need to worry about your providers MTAs or their SPF records.  If
email is important to your business, then presumably being confident that
your domain isn't being used by someone other than you is also important."

I did this for a few years.  Then the $#^%$# backlists started reporting my
IP as dynamic.  Much of my outbound email was being blocked.  I now must use
an external MTA.  It sucks!!!!  At the time Comcast did not offer static IP
addresses.  In fact, finding someone within Comcast that understood "static
IP address" was a challenge.  As far as I know, they still don't do static
IP addresses.  If they do, the cost would be too much.

BTW, my IP address only changes about every 9 months or so.

I have no problems receiving email directly.  I do have up to 3 days of
problems when my IP changes!

Also, Comcast has no SPF record.  Finding the list of mail servers was a
pain, I had help from other people on this list.  At the time we came up
with 9 mail servers.  Using "include" would be so much nicer!

Guy