Introduction to Email Authentication

2005-03-23 00:17:32
From: Mark Berry
Date: Tue Mar 22 2005 - 22:14:06 EST

I'm a noob to the spf list, so forgive me if this has been brought up
before.

Welcome to the discussion. For an introduction to email authentication see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_Authentication

What about a PKI signature of each message?

DomainKeys uses a digital signature and avoids the need to authenticate each transfer. The fundamental problem I see with digital signatures is that the message has to be fully transferred all the way to its destination before it can be rejected. I really like the possibility that IP-authentication offers of rejecting spam before transferring the message, at a cost not much more than the spammer has to pay to send it. Another problem is that we have no simple standard way to decide en-route if a message is using IP-authentication or a signature. So it looks like all messages will have to checked at each hop anyway.

-- Dave

* David MacQuigg, PhD              * email:  dmq'at'gci-net.com   *  *
* IC Design Engineer               * phone:  USA 520-721-4583  *  *  *
* Analog Design Methodologies                                  *  *  *
*                                  * 9320 East Mikelyn Lane     * * *
* VRS Consulting, P.C.             * Tucson, Arizona 85710        *