Forwarding Problems and DNS Abuse

2005-03-31 13:38:18
At 11:29 AM 3/31/2005 -0500, Radu wrote:
Dave wrote:
SPF has left itself open to this criticism by not having a clear
policy on forwarding.  Forwarders will ask 1) How do I know which
name to authenticate? and 2) How do I pass the result downstream?
There needs to be a simple, widely accepted answer to these questions
or SPF will fail.

I was hoping we wouldn't be discussing this aspect of SPF quite yet.

I believe we should first fix the DNS related problems (load,
uncacheable macros, etc). Without these, forwarding policy does not
matter, because the IETF will not allow a DNS-heavy SPF draft to become
a standard.

In that context, an unfocussed approach to fixing problems might just be
a waste of time, if a standard is not possible.

So I think we should put this one on the back burner, and come back to
it after the -01 draft (which must include DNS fixes) is published. In
this way, any DNS fixes can be readjusted (instead of introduced for the
first time) at -02, along with the added forwarding policy.

I'm new to this technology, so I'm willing to accept what our elders say on the question of solving problems in series or in parallel. My preference on solving the two big problems for SPF is parallel. I see the forwarding problem and the DNS loading problem as being comparable in importance. They have equal probability of killing SPF. They have equally simple solutions. Both may require minor tweaks in a later revision. The sooner SPF provides a solution, the less chance that SPF will have to conform to some awkward external requirements. Just my 2 cents.

I have replies to Chris and Frank that I haven't posted yet. If everyone feels I should put aside the forwarding issue, I will move that discussion to another forum, and focus here on just the DNS issue.

-- Dave
* David MacQuigg, PhD      email:  dmquigg-spf at yahoo.com      *  *
* IC Design Engineer            phone:  USA 520-721-4583      *  *  *
* Analog Design Methodologies                                 *  *  *
*                                   9320 East Mikelyn Lane     * * *
* VRS Consulting, P.C.              Tucson, Arizona 85710        *