SPF Forwarding Scenario

2005-04-09 11:34:37
SPF List,

Here is a scenario for which I would like some feedback regarding proper SPF record publishing and SPF aware MTA processing behavior.

The scenario relates to that ugly issue of forwarding. I am hopeful that the answer will be something like "but of course Alan, if SPF were being appropriately implemented at the final receiving SMTP server this would never be a problem...", so go ahead, make my day.

SCENARIO:
Published Records in sender's zone (presume IPs and zone are not malicious)
Domain: domain.tld
Published SPF TXT: v=spf1 include:forwarding.tld -all
Domain: forwarding.tld
Published SPF TXT: v=spf1 ip4:10.10.10.1 ip4:10.10.10.2 ip4:10.10.10.3 ip4:10.10.10.4 ip4:10.10.10.5 ip4:10.10.10.6 ip4:10.10.10.7 -all

Domain: Spammer.tld (presume IP and zone *are* malicious)
ip: 10.222.222.1

Domain: SpamTarget.tld (presume IP and zone are not malicious)
ip 10.111.111.1

A message is sent from Spammer.tld via 10.222.222.1 to SpamTarget.tld at 10.111.111.1 representing in its headers that the original message was forwarded from a bogus user foo(_at_)domain(_dot_)tld passed from 10.10.10.4 (which would be a valid SMTP server at domain.tld if the forwarding event had actually taken place, because headers would be correct to the extent that the forged header claims the originator was foo(_at_)domain(_dot_)tld from 10.10.10.4 (mail4.forwarding.tld) and 10.10.10.4 is an appropriate SMTP server for mail sent by domain.tld).

From the final receiver's point of view at 10.111.111.1, they just received a message which ultimately came from 10.10.10.4 originated by foo(_at_)domain(_dot_)tld and checking IP and domain, they discover the domain and IP of the original sender are valid (even though they are totally created by the research and efforts of the intermediary forwarding spammer system Spammer.tld 10.222.222.1).

In a non SPF world, such messages would be delivered and possibly bounced back to the original victim of the identity theft.

Given the txt records listed above, if the final receiver's MTA implemented SPF properly, would it be able to realize that domain.tld would not forward via spammer.tld and thus would avoid making an attempt to deliver to a local user at 10.111.111.1 and not bounce from their end back to 10.10.10.4?

If this is the case, then some recent activities by domain identity theft spammers are now providing excellent reasons for all sites to quickly migrate to SPF.

If not, is there a convenient way in SPF syntax to tell the final 10.111.111.1 user that no forwarders beyond the include: are ever used by domain.tld?

List input on this scenario will be greatly appreciated. Yes, my company is being specifically targeted for this kind of behavior. And now, with the shiny new SPF / Spamhaus aware SMTP server software just purchased (which so far is seemingly working out to be a true gem), we are seeing it clearly, have evidence and want to act accordingly against the spammers perpetrating this kind of activity.

As a related side note http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4426949.stm is a worthy read for such spammers.

Each participating Internet connected network has a right to filter what they judge as spam (a cold war), but when spammers steal domain identities in a clear and malicious attempt to cause harm to another's reputation (a hot war), how much greater then should the punishment become?

Best,

Alan Maitland
WebMaster(_at_)Commerco(_dot_)Net
The Commerce Company - Making Commerce Simple(sm)
http://WWW.Commerco.Com/