RE: MTP ?

2005-04-13 19:26:32
There is already a group of individuals working on a next-generation
email.  You may read more at
http://www.imc.org/mail-ng/index.html
or
http://james.seng.cc/wiki/wiki.cgi?Mail-NG

The first link is a project by the Internet Mail Consortium, an industry
group with some real clout.  You should read their postings, the mailing
list archive, and you may want to subscribe to the mail-ng list.

Regards,
Marc Alaia

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com] On Behalf Of David
MacQuigg
Sent: Wednesday, April 13, 2005 9:34 PM
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: [spf-discuss] MTP ?

At 09:02 PM 4/12/2005 -0400, Radu Hociung wrote:

Incidentally, I also think someone should start working on MTP, as a
descendent of SMTP. Really all we are doing currently is patching a
system which is broken by design. Maybe it will take 20 years for MTP
to become the accepted standard. I see no problem there.

I don't see what is broken in SMTP.  It is missing a piece, and we are
now adding that piece.  The piece was not necessary in 1982, and if it
had been added, it probably would have been ignored at the time, and
very difficult to use 20 years later.

It seems like what we are adding now could be much better than something
that was added in 1982 without really knowing what the problems would be
like 20 years later.  It's like starting with a fresh slate.
Fundamentally, what we need is a means for the sender to declare a
reputable identity, and a means for the receiver to check that identity,
independent of what is in the declaration.  I can't imagine a checking
system better than DNS, and that wasn't around in 1982.

If you could go back to 1982, what would you change about SMTP?

--
Dave