Re: draft-newton-maawg-spf-considerations-00

2005-04-28 00:59:57
Wayne wrote:

+1 to anything you said (excl. "bum" until I have checked
what it means).

Excerpts from the complete posted Council IRC log:

| 22:00 * grumpy thought he had fixed the "_libspf2" url problem.

Okay, I missed that bit, the Web page started 22:30 when I
looked at it.  Fast-forward summary of the DNS-load issue:

- the SPF wizard shouldn't propose "ptr"
- spf.pobox.com sender policy still found non-compliant
- some spf.pobox.com info considered misleading at best
- a "how-to" for very complex sender policies could help,
  maybe an include:not.me strategy at the begin of these
  policies could accelerate FAIL or SOFTFAIL results
- Radu plans to implement an "SPF policy optimizer", how
  important is this issue for existing sender policies ?

Now I'll cut out other remarks from the IRC-log to catch
Wayne's following "monologue" for the spf-discuss records:

| 22:52 I think we also need to contact the IESG/IETF and
|       explain that spf-classic-01 is *NOT* part of the
|       MARID process and is *NOT* part of SenderID
[...]
| 22:52 The fact that the SenderID folks chose to base their
|       work on the SPF-classic spec is not our problem.
| 22:53 The MARID co-chairs and AD requested that the *MARID*
|       drafts be made experimental.
| 22:53 The SenderID folks didn't do that.
[...]
| 22:53 The MARID co-chairs and AD said that the version
|       string MUST be changed
[...]
| 22:53 The SenderID folks didn't do that.
[...]
| 22:54 The IETF said that, due to trademark conflicts, the
|       "SenderID" name should not be used.
| 22:54 The SenderID folks didn't do that.
[...]
| 22:54 This isn't our problem.

IBTD.

It has been and still is our problem right from day 1 in MARID.
It was our problem when MARID was closed unilaterally without
   prior consultation with the WG.
It is our problem with this anonymous note to the RfC editor.
It is our problem with Andy's considerations on SPF, which are
   not exactly related to the reality or anything SPF is about.

It started to be our problem right when Caller-ID was added to
the LMAP input to MARID at the last possible moment:
   2004-05-20 Caller-ID published
   2004-05-21 ASRG co-chair resigns
   2004-05-22 [iesg-secretary #33053] sent to ietf-ipr(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org

Or maybe it started with Meng's CYA-slide, where the attempts
to twist SPF into Sender-ID became obvious.  No paseran, Frank