Re: Summary of SenderID/PRA Concerns and Benefits (draft 2)

2005-06-26 11:53:27
In <00a401c5798a$c6d36e40$6401a8c0(_at_)hdev1> "Hector Santos"
<spf-discuss(_at_)winserver(_dot_)com> writes:

Concerns:

[snip]

In my review of teh senderid-core I-D, I found these concerns:

* senderid is trademarked by someone in the UK

* Many sections of the senderid-core spec are very similar to sections
  in the spf-classic spec.  This causes the following problems:

  * It isn't clear what is different between these two specs

  * It isn't clear if the differences are intentional, or why they are
    different.

* There are various changes in semantics between SenderID and
  SPF-classic, making a system that implements both much more
  complicated than you might initially guess.

* The changes in semantics are not restricted to interpretation of
  SPF2.0 records, so SPFv1 records referenced by SPFv2 records cause
  SPFv1 records to be interpreted by the new/conflicting semantics.

* The combined senderid-core, senderid-pra and senderid-submitter
  drafts come in around 2k lines.  spf-classic is 3k lines.  So, the
  SenderID spec is almost twice as big as SPF, and all to just add the
  PRA scope.

* The current senderid drafts make references to stuff that is bogus,
  and it will have to either change semantics of senderid during the
  "RFC Editor review" pahse.  For example, senderid-core talks about
  needing to do zone cuts and references sections in spf-classic that
  are not correct.

  Either senderid is going to have to change semantics, and thus run
  through the IESG again, or senderid is going to end up being a very
  broken spec.  (Or, at least that is my interpretation of what the
  RFC editor requires if "technical problems" are found.)

* A great deal of work has gone into making spf-classic-02 to be as
  compatible as possible with previous SPF specifications.  The
  SenderID specs, however, have had their semantics change from the
  MARID days and may well need to change some more.  SenderID is "in
  flux", while SPF-classic is as stable as we can make it.

-wayne