OT: SMTP pre-filter server

2005-08-22 08:09:31
This may be off topic, but as it was my quest for SPF compliancy
checking that started this, I am hoping I wont be breaking too many
rules posting this here.

Having encountered some disappointing limits to MS Exchange and our
filtering software for it, I have decided to look into building a SMTP
Pre-filtering server.

I have the hardware, but now I need suggestions for OS and applications.

I am hoping for a Linux flavour for the OS, and POSTFix for the SMTP
server.

If using POSTFix, would I need some sort of filtering add-on or scripts?

Please keep in mind that all of this will be very new to me and while I
expect a massive learning curve, simplicity is still desired.

Any suggestions will be seriously considered unless flamed in subsequent
messages.

And just in case it isn't clear, I want a box that will receive the
initial foreign message perform all the checks to verify it is legit,
not spam, and not virus laden successfully before passing it on to our
primary SMTP server.

SPF is desired and this system is mostly aimed at making sure complicity
to the SPF rules (at least the current set) is followed.

Mike Kelly
Systems Tech
Broadview Software Inc.
416-778-0623 x239