[spf-discuss] SPF crippled by lack of usable SRS (was Virus Expert says: virus that no longer forge email breaks SPF)

2005-10-10 10:13:09

I read this article and thought that it said nothing substantial about deficiencies in SPF, which I've never held to be an "antispam tool" per say, but a domain validation tool. The problems identified were with vulnerabilities in ISP practices, which is the ISP's problem, not SPF's.

The problem facing SPF in particular from my experience is the lag in SRS deployment and development. I had one user tell me a few weeks ago, in effect "until you deploy SRS on your mail forwarders, you're just paying lip service to SPF and solving nothing".

I thanked him for his comments and explained that there has been no viable implementation of SRS on our MTA (postfix) and there is no serious development work happening for it. The last time I looked at SRS (which I do every few months) there seemed to be some sort of infighting going on between different libraries, different SRS domain names, different camps, groups, etc and it didn't look very close to making any headway. I went on to ask the commenter if he knew of any pointers toward a solution in this field (SRS deployment under postfix) and have never heard back.

From an outside supporter looking in, that's where things seem to breakdown. We have a medium sized user base who is on average, ahead of the curve technically, people who would embrace SPF fully if it just would't totally break their forwarding. But there's nothing serious happening on the SRS front to enable carrier grade deployment.

-mark

P.S. I am somewhat aware that the postfix developers aren't crazy about SRS and thus, we don't see an SRS implementation coming out of the postfix developers. But postfix designed in a way to make it extensible by other developers. It can be done. I'd be happy to pay some developer to create a stable, usable SRS implementation on postfix 2.x if that's what it'll take to get it done.

P.P.S Can anybody post a link to Suresh's follow-up? I'd like to read it.

wayne wrote:
Well, Nick Fitzgerald told a bunch of people at a virus conference
that SPF can be easily broken by virus writers by having them no
longer forge email addresses.

See: http://news.zdnet.co.uk/internet/security/0,39020375,39228023,00.htm

Suresh then posted a followup saying how bad SPF is...

--
Mark Jeftovic <mark(_at_)easydns(_dot_)com>
President & CEO, easyDNS Technologies Inc.