Re: [spf-discuss] off by one error in the wizard?

2005-11-17 09:39:10
On Thu, Nov 17, 2005 at 10:20:05AM -0600, wayne wrote:

There seems to be an off-by-one error in the wizard.  When it looks
at MX records, it finds one more than there really are.  At least,
that is what I've seen processing three different domains.

I once complained to Meng about something very similar.  He came back
with a very good answer as to why the wizard was working correctly,
which I don't remember exactly what it was.

This could have been more than one A record per MX record.  However,
this is not the case where I looked.

Can you give me some examples?

Sure:

http://www.openspf.org/wizard.html?mydomain=schlitt.net.

Has one MX record, pointing to one domain with one A record.  The wizard
finds two names.

http://www.openspf.org/wizard.html?mydomain=ergens.op.het.net.

Has one MX record, pointing to one domain with two A records.  The wizard
finds two names.

The wizard got it right in the second case (but I doubt this
was on purpose).  In the first case, there really is just one
host available, not two.

Also see ticket #1726 for an additional example.

alex