[spf-discuss] Re: 2006 election campaign

2006-01-16 00:35:01
Mark Shewmaker wrote:

In other words, I am currently concerned that avoiding
the next level of appeal almost pushes problems under the
rug.

As I have seen other organizations seemingly abandon ietf
processes or participation in an irresponsible manner, I
want to make sure that we do not do the same.

However, I'm still undecided on whether I think an additional
appeal would hurt or help spf long-term, as well as whether
avoiding an appeal would be acceptable or irresponsible for
the above reasons.

Yes, that covers many points.  It might also help the IETF with
future cases of a NOT RECOMMENDED vs. SHOULD with any IESG note
to "opt-out" for folks who just want to do their thing, and did
all they could to get it right and play by the rules.

[[ In conjunction with a question on the devel list I just read
   the one year old namedroppers thread with Stephane / Wayne /
   William / JohnL and Paul Vixie.   Always good to know _why_
   we dropped the zone-cut, because Paul said it's not trivial.
]]

The appeal is relevant in discussions with Doug Otis, he claims
that v=spf1 is "defunct" if it's abused by PRA.  Of course he
also doesn't like it without this abuse, but I can deal with
his other aguments.  But not with the "defunct" part, the last
time he pulled that card in public I had to pull "appeal" to
get a stalemate... :-(

I'm not sure if that course necessarily causes a delay for SPF,
after all it's about SID, not about SPF.  In the worst case it
will cause a delay.  Appeals are like questions, don't ask if
you don't want to get certain answers.  OTOH just let them get
away with their "EEE" is already the worst case from our POV, I
don't see how it could get worse.

Draft Wayne back into the council.  (Is this allowed?  :-)  )

LOL.  I still think that the Council should act like WG Chairs
+ shepherd (responsible AD) in an IETF WG.  For that it needs a
WG (= Community).  Otherwise it would be an irrelevant cabal of
elected and appointed "leaders" doing their own stuff.

                                Bye, Frank